Rock Climbing Essentials
Date: September 11
Our Rock Climbing Essentials course is designed to introduce the beginner to the fundamentals of rock climbing, using a top rope system. The class takes place outside at a local climbing crag. There you will learn about the necessary gear, its uses and limitations, as well as basic climbing techniques.
Beginning rock climbers will learn how to safely climb with others and acquire the knowledge necessary to avoid dangerous situations.
We meet on River Rd.:
From exit 130 off of I95 – Follow Rt 3 west and take a right at the third light onto Bragg Road (Route 639). Follow Rt. 639 for 0.8 miles and take a left onto River Road (Route 618). Follow River Road (Route 618) for 0.9 miles and cross a small bridge, then see a cattle gate immediately after on the right side. Pull through the open cattle gate and you will meet your instructor there. Call with any direction questions!
Class time is 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM.
1. Comfortable Clothes: Your clothes should be comfortable enough to do a lot of moving in. Pants should be loose; sweats or tights or something that will allow you to step up high. Shorts should have long inseams so that they will stay under your harness. Lose fitting shirts or tank tops should be worn as well. All Clothing Will Get Dirty!
2. Shoes: Your shoes will have an affect on your climbing performance. For climbing, try to pick a pair that fits very tight. Running shoes are bad because they have such a wide foot platform for stability. A pair that has a snug fit and are able to get dirty are the best choice. You may want to bring an extra pair, more hiking boot style, to wear for the approach to the crag.
3. Food: Bring a lunch that you can hike in and eat at the crag, and a minimum of one quart of water – no glass please.
4. Personal Gear: Camera, Lip balm, Sun screen, Insect repellent, Sun glasses, or anything else you may want to have in your pack for a day out.
5. Warm Clothing: We do not teach climbing in the rain, but we do teach in the cool weather, so bring appropriate warm clothes In the event that the climate turns cold.
All climbing equipment is provided.
Course cost: $95.00
See you on the Rocks!!